Genre: Historical Fiction
Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8
A Grain of Rice is set in the late 70s in Vietnam. Yen is 13 years old and she and her family have made it through the Vietnam War. Things are difficult for Yen and her family, but when a flood destroys her village, her family decides to escape Vietnam for a chance at a new life. They have few resources to fund their trip, but Yen's mother has always shared what they have and they find the favours being returned throughout their journey. This book is a Red Maple 2020 nominee and although it is not extremely graphic in describing Yen's journey, it is definitely a mature content book. I recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...

No comments:
Post a Comment