Genre: Realistic Fiction/Historical Fiction
Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8
Refugee is one of the most powerful books I have read in a long time. This book tells the stories of three refugees. Josef is a Jewish boy who flees Nazi Germany with his family in 1939. Isabel is a Cuban girl who escapes Cuba with her family and another in a homemade boat and Mahmoud is a Syrian boy trying to escape the civil war that has torn his country apart. As I read about the difficult journeys these three characters took in hopes of finding a better life for themselves, I learned new things about the events that forced them from their homes. The individual stories are page-turners, but Alan Gratz has also found a way to connect the three characters, making the book even more satisfying. I highly recommend this book.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...

No comments:
Post a Comment