Genre: Historical Fiction
Age Recommendation: Grade 5+
Elijah is eleven and lives in Buxton, Canada. Buxton is a settlement of runaway slaves near the American border. Elijah was the first free born child in the settlement. This book follows Elijah in his daily life - school, chores, fishing and his encounters with the man who calls himself a preacher. Elijah's experiences are humorous at times and heart-breaking at others. This book provides information about a community I had previously not known about. If you enjoy stories about The Underground Railroad, this is an interesting look at how some of the newcomers to Canada lived.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...

No comments:
Post a Comment