"My Name Is Seepeetza" is based on the author's experiences attending the Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia. This story is told in the form of journal entries which allows the reader to not only gain insight into the difficult times Seepeetza faced at residential school, but also her home life at Joyaska Ranch. This book is well written for its audience as it shares the atrocities of residential school in an age appropriate and relatable way. I especially liked that the reader learned about Seepeetza's home life allowing the reader to better understand the difficulty of being pulled from one's family to attend school. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the history and impact of residential schools in Canada.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...
No comments:
Post a Comment