Genre: Biography
Age Recommendation: Grade 3+
It is 1944 in this beautifully illustrated story where Larry Loyie, who was 10 years old at the time, shares the last summer he spent with his family before being forced to attend residential school. Larry's story helps us to understand the sacred connection he and his family have with the land and each other. For those wanting to learn more about the impacts of residential schools, this story allows the reader a unique look at what life was like before residential school. I highly recommend this book.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...

No comments:
Post a Comment