Lanesha is twelve years old and lives in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans. She has lived with her adoptive grandmother, Mama Ya-Ya, since she was born. Lanesha loves learning, but doesn't really have friends at school. Lanesha's schoolmates make fun of her because Mama Ya-Ya has visions about the future, but Lanesha is content with the love of Mama Ya-Ya. When Hurricane Katrina is set to hit New Orleans, Mama Ya-Ya has confusing and frightening visions of what will happen. The mayor orders an evacuation of the city, but Lanesha and Mama Ya-Ya do not have the money or ability to leave their home. Lanesha must take action to help keep them safe during the storm. This is a story of friendship and family. It is a very quick and interesting read. This book is for readers who enjoy learning about past events and those who have an interest in the supernatural world. I highly recommend this book.
I am a book loving elementary school teacher librarian. This blog reflects my personal opinions about the books I have read and is intended to be used by students and teachers who are looking for a book recommendation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Warriors - Into The Wild By: Erin Hunter
Genre: Animal Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 4+ Since this is not typically a genre I gravitate towards, I was hesitant about reading th...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 This is the story of twins, Eloise and Leon, who live in an Innu community in the f...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 7/8 "Hopeless In Hope" is a Red Maple 2025 nominee. This is the story of Nev...
-
Genre: Realistic Fiction Age Recommendation: Grade 6+ This is the story of Mason who lives in New York City in a small apartment with his ...

No comments:
Post a Comment